2011/03/17Information for the Tohoku Region Pacific Ocean Earthquake

Tohoku Area Pacific Offshore Earthquake Multi-language Support Center
A multi-language support center offering nine languages (English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese, Tagalog) is now in operation to assist foreign residents were affected by the earthquake and tsunamis.
Multi-lingual Hotline (English, Chinese, Spanish and Portuguese)

Confirming Whereabouts International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese

Google Person Finder: Locating Persons on Google
Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese

Updates on the Earthquake

Multi-language broadcasts by FMYY
Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Portuguese, Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese
(Windows Media Player required)

NHK WORLD in 17 other Languages

Google Crisis Response
Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean

Making Donations to the Japanese Red Cross Society

Monetary donations are being accepted by the Japanese Red Cross Society.

<For Persons in Japan> Note: Bank details must be written in Japanese.
Bank Name: 郵便局・ゆうちょ銀行
Account Number: 00140-8-507
Account Name: 日本赤十字社 東北関東大震災

※If bank transfer is made directly at the post office's teller window, the transfer handling fee will be excluded.
※After making your transfer at the teller window, please be sure to receive a receipt.
※In the correspondence column, fill in your name, address and telephone number.

<For Persons Living Overseas>
Name of Bank: Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Name of Branch: Ginza
Account No.: 8047670 (Ordinary Account)

For further information, please refer to

Contribution of Relief Goods

Presently, the Japan Self-Defense Forces are collecting donations of relief goods from local government offices throughout the country. The Japanese Self Defense Forces plan to distribute these donated relief goods to the affected areas as soon as possible. For more information, please make an inquiry to your nearest local government office.


Top 5 Questions


Accessible by mobile phone.