Procedures for Staying

My visa has expired and I have illegally overstayed. What should I do?

You must immediately report your situation to the Immigration Bureau.
If you come in person and explain your illegal overstay, you will not be put into custody. You will be able to undergo simple procedures to leave the country. Please have your valid passport available at all times. Under this case, you will not be permitted to enter Japan for one year starting from your departure date.
For other cases, please refer to the Immigration Bureau's website.


Top 5 Questions


Accessible by mobile phone.